Hello Jerusalem!

Hello Jerusalem!
This is the view from our patio!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Vienna - Austria Airport

Hello Everyone!

Well, after getting pretty much no sleep Monday night, driving to the SLC airport at 4:00 am, passing the luggage test (my checked bag weighed 48.5 pounds) I met up with my fellow Jerusalem Center peeps and we flew to Denver, then Washington D.C. Dulles airport, and crossed the ocean to Vienna, Austria! The flights went pretty well. We only had a short delay at the Denver airport because there was a broken part in the plane! Fortunately they found it as soon as we boarded the plane, so we had to wait for about 30-40 minutes. I sat next to a nice Russian couple. A few times the woman leaned over and asked me what the captain/flight attendants had said. The woman was also terrified of flying, so the delay and random bumps that occur during a flight made her a little nervous.
We had about a three hour layover in D.C. which was nice because we ate lunch together as a group, and I had the chance to call a few people to say good-bye. No cell phones are allowed there though, so it was fun talking to all of you. :)
Our flight to Austria was slightly painful. I had slept a little bit in the previous flights, so when this 8-9 hour flight occurred, I was tired, but not to the brink of exhaustion, which is apparently the only way I can sleep in airplanes. I ended up switching seats with a woman who wanted to be with her family, so I sat in 17H, an aisle seat in the Emergency Exit aisle. I sat next to a guy named Daniel, who is from Germany. He did an internship in D.C. last year and was visiting friends for New Years Eve.
Needless to say, I got almost no sleep during that long flight, and I kept looking at my watch hoping that time more time had passed. My eyes were too tired to read or really concentrate on anything, so I watched THREE movies, and listened to music. My favorite part of the service received on the plane were the wet towelettes we received this morning. At first when I saw them passing them out, I thought the flight attendants were handing each of us napkins with a tong. I was a little surprised when it was warm and wet. (I had to watch other people to know what to do! Clearly I'm a world-wide traveler.)

The Austrian airport is certainly different! There aren't many chairs that we can find, so we're all sitting against a wall using Vienna's free wireless internet. THANK YOU VIENNA AIRPORT! We have a two hour layover here, so we'll see what I can catch up on.
I love you all and thanks so much for your support!

-Audryn-

No comments:

Post a Comment