Hello Jerusalem!

Hello Jerusalem!
This is the view from our patio!

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Dome of the Rock



Saturdays and Sundays are different here because Saturday is the Sabbath, which means Sundays are Saturdays. It's kind of messing me up, but we'll see if I get used to it.
Church was really cool. We have sacrament meeting in a huge auditorium that looks out on Jerusalem. During choir practice before church, our branch president told us to really think about the words. Then he looked turned around and pointed to different parts of the city saying that Jesus carried the cross on his back on a road in this area, then he was hung on a cross in that area, and the garden tomb is over there...That's amazing! I am in the city where Christ walked. I can't even believe it. I think my testimony and awe will just grow as I get to know more of the history and hear more stories. It was a pretty cool feeling.
The branch isn't made up of just students, which I originally thought it was. People from all over are welcome, and there are some other families who live here permanently - for example, one man works in the consulate, so his family (including his 5 kids) are here for 2 years. Imagine growing up in Jerusalem!
I was also asked to be in charge of singing time for senior primary, which I absolutely loved. I have found my calling in life! Singing and kids. Per-fect. I had so much fun. The lesson for sharing time was about feasting on the words of Christ. The boys were being silly and saying that you couldn't eat your scriptures...or maybe they would try...but then one boy said "That wouldn't be kosher." Oh my stinking gosh. Funniest comment ever.

Today was a free day and just about everyone went out into the city. I went with seven people: six girls and one guy. That poor guy! The girls wanted to go shopping, so he was kind of stuck with us for awhile. I actually didn't buy anything, which I was pretty proud of. I'm kind of nervous about that whole bargaining thing, so I'll have to watch a little bit and see how it's done. We basically just wandered around for awhile. We were going to go to some museums, but that didn't work out. I want to re-visit places and go to specific sites after I know some more history and they have some meaning. But! We did go to the Dome of the Rock!
The Dome of the Rock is a Muslim Shrine, but according to Jewish tradition, the rock inside is believed to be the stone where Abraham prepared to sacrifice his son Isaac. Amazing! Can you even believe that I am IN THE PLACE where so much has happened. I'm still in shock.

Well, I have to get to bed. Mondays are field trip day and we leave at 8:00 am sharp!

-Audryn-

Picture 1: Me in the back doorway of the Dome of the Rock. Don't you love the mosaic walls?!
Picture 2: The Dome of the Rock

3 comments:

  1. We just got an email from your mom letting us know about your blog and your adventures! We are so excited for you, and very excited you will be documenting it via blog. We will definately be checking in to see all the wonderful adventures you will have! What a great oppurtunity.... We hope you are well. Doug, Amanda, Addy and James (The wild ones)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty sure i am super jealous! looks so fun cous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love reading your posts!! I still think that we should go on an adventure when we both are graduated. I am so proud of you for going!! I love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete