Hello Jerusalem!

Hello Jerusalem!
This is the view from our patio!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Garden of Gethsemene



Hello friends!

Today was our Sabbath Day and it was such a great day! I felt so close to my Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ and I know with all of my heart that this gospel is true.
Church was amazing, but I want to tell you about the Garden of Gethsemene.
I joined a group of friends and walked a ways to the Garden of Gethsemene. In the middle of the garden is the Church of All Nations, and it's a pretty big tourist spot. (This makes sense and is a good thing because it means that people are coming from all over the world to see the area where Jesus Christ suffered for our sins.) But, the thing about this garden is that it's not very private or conducive to pondering and reflecting.
Well, across the street but on the same side of the street, is another garden surrounded by a wall. There is an iron gate in front and a sign on top of the gate that says "private." This garden is reserved for Mormons (and probably other people, I don't know all the details). I was with friends a couple of days ago, and apparently you go up to one of the gardeners/gate keepers at the garden across the street, and when you tell them you're a Mormon, they get out a big, iron key, and open the gate for you. When I found this out, I became so grateful for those who have gone before us and created such a good reputation as to allow us to enter this private and sacred place.
As soon as you walk into the garden, you see a good number of olive trees. These trees are fairly tall, with thick, knotted trunks. The olive tree leaves are a lighter green with a tint of silver, and if you look carefully inside the holes in the trees, you will see notes that people have written and hidden inside. There are also several places where lots of little stools or benches are set up for group meetings or gatherings. You can also climb up a little walkway where a amphitheater lets you sit and look out on the city.

I got there early with a smaller group, but more students joined us as the day went on. I sat at the opposite wall from the entrance and looked out at the garden. I posted some pictures, and as you look at them I want you to put yourself in them. I snapped a shot of my friend reading a book, so put yourself in her shoes. When you read about our Savior suffering in Gethsemene, put yourself where she is, and reflect on what Christ has done for you.
I want to bear my testimony that Jesus Christ lives. He suffered in Gethsemene for me and FOR YOU. He loves us so much and because of what he did, we can overcome any weakness we have. In fact, we're expected to come unto Christ and overcome these weaknesses. DO IT. Coming unto Christ and giving up your sins will change your life - I promise.

2 comments:

  1. So awesome is this experience you are having Audryn. And yes, we need to be kind to ourselves and allow our Savior's love and gifts to put the past away by repenting. Our Savior has caused an opportunity for us to disappear our transgressions. Where the past disappears. Leaving us with an empty space to live into. We are children of the Master creator. Heavenly Father has told us that "Men are that they might have Joy". We have the power to create amazing lives. Even while taking on the challenges that are a constant as part of our mortal experience. We truly can handle life with grace. Thanks for sharing these experiences with us. I feel as if my heart literally swells as I think of our beloved Savior and Redeemer.
    luvs, Mom

    ReplyDelete